Friday, September 26, 2008

Garden update: Out with the old in with the new.

Out with the old . . .


. . . in with the new.



My plants are no longer glorious. It is time for fall and winter colors to take their place. I have not quite decided how I am going to fill up all of my flower beds. I am still debating on doing some fall and winter vegetables.

Ant Pile



As we are planning for winter so our my most feared insects. Seriously they are mean insects. They are piling up huge ant beds all around my plants. Every time I pull up a flower they come up scrambling from the ground. Well, I am beating them up. Maybe or probably not but I am seeing a lot of dead ants. I apologize to ant lovers if there are any. I boil a large pot of water. Once it is ready I take it out and dump it on the ant piles. The other day I did it and ant eggs came spilling out as did the live ants. I came out a few hours later and there were dead ants everywhere. I know it sounds so mean but I have nightmares of these things. At least I am not using chemicals, right?

Sorry for not adding texture to my photos Ralphie. However these pictures are not shown for artistic purposes. If I beautified my ant pile or dead flowers I might just keep them there.

2 comments:

  1. Man I hate those ant piles! I don't have too many of them right now, but I haven't exactly been working in the yard too much lately. What kind of winter flowers do you plant? I'm not ready for veggies just yet. I've usually done pansies, and they stay pretty nice until spring. Any other ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pansies are pretty much the only flower you can get to last through the winters here that give the garden color. Snap dragons may last into the early winter months but usually burn from the frost. I think I am going to try viola. They look like a small pansy. I am not sure how they will do until spring. There are many decorative cabbages or leafy plants that do well during the winter.

    ReplyDelete