Tuesday, September 04, 2012

What Do I Want to Be?

Lately I have been thinking an awful lot about what I want to be when I grow up. I completed my undergrad degree in PE when I was pregnant with my first, Brooklyn. I never had an opportunity to teach other than student teaching because of many moves and more kids added a long the way. While I have been fortunate enough to be a stay at home mom I have gained many new skills and interest. I am going to start using my blog more to share different projects I have been working on along with updating with stories of my family. I am hoping this will help me find what I am truly interested in doing after my kids don't need me so much.

I am going to start with my love for home design. Its something that I had an interest in when I was younger but was discouraged when a designer said there is a lot of drawing that comes with the job. One of my biggest weaknesses is allowing others dictate what I can and can't do. I have never been known to be a great artist so I assumed I would have been horrible in design. Which lead to never pursuing that line of work.

My first project I will post is my curtains. Curtains are expensive. I have expensive taste. I finally found some curtains that were under $100 per panel that I really liked. Adding up the number of panels I wanted I still would have been spending up to $300. Thanks to all the tutorials people place on the internet I decided I would attempt a much cheaper route and would make curtains out of drop cloths. My inspirational curtains were from West Elm.
I loved the simplicity and the black trim. 

I bought two 12x9 drop cloths to make two 4ft panels and four 2ft panels. I have a 6x9ft piece left over for other projects. I bleached the panels a few times, washed with lots of softener, and added peroxide. I dried with dryer sheets. It lightened the cloth and softened the curtains. I then ironed and sewed black double fold quilt bias tape. Since I am too cheap to buy curtain rings I just glued fabric loops onto the back. Here are my images. 

Curtains 4
Curtains 3
Curtains 2
Curtains 1

I'm glad I only spent around $60 dollars rather than almost $300. When I have the time I will iron them out better. Maybe my mom will iron them when she comes to town. 

No comments:

Post a Comment